Well my hip hasn't gotten much better since my last post and I'm super bummed about this. I have 2 weeks until marathon weekend and I can't even run... SWEET! After resting up on Sunday after my 18 miler on Saturday, I was hoping that my hip would be better and I'd be back to running on Monday. Twas not the case. I was still pretty sore but was able to walk normally with a few sharp pains here and there.
On Tuesday I went to the chiropractor and was told that I have weak glutes. Wait... what?! how is that causing this terrible pain on my hip? Well... since my glutes are weak, the muscles that I should be using aren't doing their job and the other muscles which run along my sciatic nerve are stressing out my hips... or something along those lines. That's what I got out of it. I also found out that I have put on way too much weight since I last got on the scale. As you can imagine... Tuesday was not a fun day for me. Doc said I can run until pain, make sure to do work my glutes with lunges and squats, and to use the foam roller or stick. and of course to head back into see him twice a week leading up to my race.
I left the docs pissed off and annoyed that I am much heavier than I expected and that my hip wasn't automatically fixed ha! Silly I know but I want and was looking for a quick fix since the marathon is coming up so soon. Tuesday night I went swimming with my fellow TNT coach Noble and one of our teammates Ali. We had a good swim - I felt really great in the water, with minor hip pains.
On Wednesday I went to the Wilson Track to do some speedwork before swimming again, and right away I was in pain and didn't feel like I could go very far without struggling. I lasted about a half hour... and instead went to the pool and swam for an hour. It looks like I'll be swimming from now until the marathon :(
Back at the docs office on Thursday I got realigned and doc played around and pressure pointed my glutes.... but I left still not feeling too great with my hips. I go back on Monday. I'm really hoping this thing heals soon... I've been lunging, rolling, and not running and keeping my fingers crossed I don't want to kill myself by mile 5 of this marathon. I guess this injury is really just forcing me to taper a bit earlier than I had planned....
So I've been in a funk all week with this issue but ... it could be worse and I'm staying positive. What the hell - at least I'll be out in CA enjoying a nice break from east coast life and seeing the coast line of the sunshine state. Boooyahhh!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment