I heart summertime.... and I think that's why I heart shamrock marathon weekend. All weekend I had the sliding door leading out to the beach open so that I could hear the waves as I fell asleep and throughout the night. It was perfect! Day drinking on the beach is fantastic too! Keep reading for more details :)
Yesterday was an awesome day. Amanda and I got up early for the race and it was freeeeezing!! We met Kait, Bury, Sim and Liz in the hotel lobby and made our way through the crazy wind to the race start. We were in the 2nd corral and found a nice lil spot as we waited to take off. I'm a total weaver at the beginning of running races. I hate being stuck behind slower people, and I'm always maneveuring my way around people to get out in front to the open space. We all started off together, but as we got further along Bury and I pushed ahead and stayed together for a majority of the race. It was actually awesome having Bury to run with because it pushed me to stay at a faster pace than I've been running lately... we kept each other entertained and around mile 9ish I stopped at the water stop and Bury kept going. I saw him ahead of me and tried not to lose him - he was about 25-30 yds ahead. I caught up with him closer to mile 11 and we ran together for a little bit more and then I went ahead for the last 2 miles - but he was right behind me. The race course was nice - I enjoy Shamrock. It's flat.. and you come up along side the water as you run through a naval base. The finish is on the boardwalk and it's fun! :) I finished strong and felt great the entire run. I tried not to look at my watch for too often and just focus on having a good time. I finished and my chip time was 1:48. 44 - best time ever for a half!! By like 4-5 min!! I was super stoked. Kait, Amanda, Sim and Liz came in shortly after, and Lefler and Casper were there as the cheer & support team.
Post-race we headed right to the beer tent. Yuengling is the race sponsor, and you get 4 beers with your bib but the great thing is they don't always keep track or care if you take more than 4. Sooo as you can imagine I got pretty cray cray. I heart drinking on the beach. The wind was a liiiiitle crazy so we stayed in the tent for a majority of the time and then headed to the finish line to cheer on the marathoners we knew. It was hilarious and we all had fun. We had some mexican fiestas afterwards and at this point I was beyond gone and passed outtttt at the hotel. I woke up at about 6/630 and was super hungover! Ha it was quite hilarious. Amanda and I were struggling for the rest of the day. We got some DQ blizzards later to feast on and then passed out pretty early. It was good times fo sho!!
I went for a short run today to loosen up my legs... my bod was HURTIN!!! but it was good to get out there. Next up is Cherry Blossom 10 miler here in DC with a large crew of people so that will be fun. And then Big Sur - it's creeping up little by little!! I'm starting to get nervous!!
Good luck to my sis who runs her half marathon at the jersey shore this weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment