Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Curious Case of the Traveling Kristen & Colby Jack

Moving makes life crazy... yes it does. hence why I have been MIA for the past two weeks. At the beginning of February I was looking on craigslist to see what housing opps were out there and came across a cute lil english basement near the U St area... an area I was living in for some of last year and really missed being there. i went to the open house and by the time I arrived everyone there was filling out applications, and there were still 2 hours left for people to come in. Before I left I made some small talk with the landlord and walked out thinking.. oh well it wasn't meant to be. Until the next morning when I got an email saying I got the apt and could move in the following weekend - what?!?!? CRAZY! I was so excited! But shit... I had to get ready in a week.  I found some sweet couches on craigslist and went to check 'em out. They were perrrrrfect! I was stoked to get them delivered the next weekend.

This move made me realize that I have moved TEN TIMES since college.... I'm sorry but that is way too much and I am staying put now for a while. You might be wondering where the name of my post title comes from... well it's got a lil bit of the curious case of benjamin button mixed in with the sisterhood of the traveling pants. haa :) I kind of like this.

Why the curious case? Well that's because people are curious as to why I have moved so much, and the traveling k&cj because we have been up and down the mid-atlantic east coast. So why have i moved so much? Let's backtrack - from UD to home, from home to NYC, from one apt (sublet) in NYC to another. From NYC back to Philly, from Philly down to DC, from one house in DC to another, then back up to home, then back to DC, then into another place in DC, and now into my new place. goodness that's wayyy too much. needless to say I'm happy to be donzo with moving for a while and super excited to have my own place!! I love my kitchen and I love my location!!

Anyway, I started moving things into the new place two Thursdays ago with the help of Shan. Keri, BP, Preston and Amy helped me move all the big items on Saturday... and luckily I have super awesome girls who live upstairs from me, because we locked ourselves out of the house a few times and they let us back in (our places connect through the laundry room). On Sunday, Keri, Amy, Morgan and I ran in the Love the Run You're With 5k in Arlington. We all had a great time - I was happy with my time.. rocked out in like 24 something. Haven't done many timed 5ks so I was happy with that. Post run, we had a lovely brunch at Champp's!!




Post race.... the chaos began...

So these amazing couches I found... well I definitely didn't measure them. And I wasn't thinking "oh these will have to get into an english basement" i only thought... yeah I want these in my place. Well the couple who was delivering them and Patrick arrived around one. We got the comfy chair in... then it was time for the couch.

yeahhhh.... 3 hours and a game of tetris and some sawing and the couches got into the apt. That's right.... we had to manuveur this couch around the steps and into the door. It wasn't working so Patrick suggested renting a saw from the hardware store because we were SOO close and it was the legs that were holding us back and sawing off the legs would get it in the door. Randolph arrived and we went to the store to get the saw....
 I was very nervous to be sawing....
 Randolph was a pro
We had hoped the sawing would solve everything.. but it did not... haha it was so ridiculous. After some bear hugging and dancing with the couch we got it inside!!!!!!! and immediately sat in it!


SUPER excited to have the couch in the apt. Thanks for the help PK and Randolph! LIFESAVERS!! So now that these lovely pieces of furniture are in my home, they will never be leaving... well at least not with me. And Colby and I will no longer be moving! ha.

3 comments:

  1. yiiikes! i can't believe you have moved 10 times!! I've moved 5 and that was def more than enough. glad to see your handy work payed off and you got the couches inside. Hope the legs went back on ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dying at the couch photos. Hilarious!! Glad you're staying put for a while! :D

    ReplyDelete